Older Version Running on 3.5 and 20008

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:49 AM

Hi All,

I have a fully working version of TheBeerHouse hosted on GoDaddy that is fully working except PayPal.  I am currently forced to move to a new Web Hosting company.  The version I am using is the original version created in AP.NET 2.0 and using MSSQL 2005.

Question: Seems many of the hosting providers are “hosting” ASP.NET 3.5 and MSSQL 2008.  Is anyone running the original version (ASP.NET 2.0 and MSQL 2005) on a ASP.NET 3.5 and MSSQL 2008 configuration?  If so, are there any major issues?  Are there any gothcas?  Soon I will begin integration with PayPal, any issue with that?

NOTE: I am not ready to “upgrade” to the newest version of TheBeerHouse (I would love to know what some of the advantages are?) as I my main focus is on enhancing and reading the software I plan to sell (i.e., the website is just a vehicle I will use to sell my real purpose in business, the selling of my software).

Cheers,

MEA

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:59 AM
Edited Sep 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I don't think that there are any breaking changes between ASP.NET 2.0 and ASP.NET 3.5 (or C# for that matter).

I didn't have any problems attaching a SQL Server 2005 database to SQL Server 2008.

The main issue may be migrating your data. Your migration may go easier if your new host allows you to "attach" the database using SQL Server Management Studio. Another alternative is to backup the database from your old host and restore it to your new host using SQL Server Management Studio.

Note that you may need to make some changes to web.config IF migrating from IIS6 to IIS7. 

I'd suggest that you setup and test your site with the new host provider before changing your DNS records to map your domain name to your new host provider.

HTH

Sep 19, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Hi HTH,

Awesome.  I am in the process of preparing things, starting with the database and hope by the end of this weekend to have the site deployed, tested and running again.  Your words are encouraging.  And so I thank you very much.

Cheers,

MEA