This project is read-only.

Where is the VB version?

Topics: User Forum
Aug 11, 2006 at 7:38 PM
There are more VB coders than C# coders out there. IMO, a VB version is needed.
Yousaid
Aug 12, 2006 at 2:31 PM
I am in aggreement, even though I can read C-Sharp, a trend toward making everything in C# bothers me alot. All the toolkit samples are in C# and now this sample only comes in C#. Please provide vb version.
Aug 16, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Having worked in both VB and C# I prefer C#. It’s great to see quality examples of C#. I have to translate VB into C# often and this is a refreshing change. After all there is DotNetNuke. I haven’t used it, but from what I see there is plenty of VB to chew on there.

I would prefer to see this project build and improve on what is here over building a VB equivalent.
Aug 16, 2006 at 2:05 PM
I think you missed the point. MS has a bigger VB install base than C#, so it makes more sense, IMO to ship tools for both VB and C#. Proclaiming C# as the epitome of "quality" is purely subjective. Surely, I can learn C# if I wanted to, but what if I don't?
Imagine a world where everyone was forced to drive YUGO, becuase it was perceived as the best quality car!
Yousaid
Aug 17, 2006 at 3:59 PM
No, I’m sure I got your point…

I simply feel the number of VB vs. C# programmers should not be a factor in the vision of this project. I’m also not sure what you mean by the “quality” statement as I certainly did not mention anything of the sort. I have written several quality VB applications personally. I also fail to see how your car analogy relates to this project. I can not build a car, but I can rewrite this application in VB if I choose. It sounds like you could as well. No one is forced to do anything in software, aside from observing copyrights. Start a new project.

However, I did not intend on this becoming an argument. I just wanted to add my opinion as it relates to this project.
Aug 19, 2006 at 1:02 AM
Oh no, it was not my intensions to start an argument, though looking back, the tone sounds like I was. But the point I was making was that considering that MS has both audiences to serve, they should endevour to release apps in both flavors. Doing that broadens the audience and allows for comparative analysis of both languages.
I already have the VB version of the app and I run it side by side with the C# version. But not all MS developers have the time and resources to invest in such endevor.
For the those interested, the VB code is available, (some fellow) has converted it at http:\\www.wrox.com.
I just think the MS should endevor to port mass released apps to both C# and VB.
Cheers,
Yousaid
Oct 19, 2006 at 2:48 AM
I think you need to bear in mind that this isn't a Microsoft sample project. Since this is a third party project, the whole VB arguement is a bit pointless. Marco's book is about how to do all of this in C#, hence why the code provided is in C#. For the record, C# is pretty dominant in the .NET world.
Nov 26, 2006 at 6:10 AM
Hi Yousaid,

You mentioned that you had found a VB.NET version of BeerHouse on WROX. I haven't been able to find it. Do you happen to have a link or remember how you found it?

Thanks,

Andrew
Nov 26, 2006 at 6:14 AM
Should have known that I'd find it a couple of minutes later. If anyone else is interested, it is a link on the Releases tab on this screen. A direct link is: http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=TheBeerHouse

Andrew