This project is read-only.

Issues running TheBeerHouse MVC project

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Dec 29, 2008 at 9:08 PM
Hello all,

I have downloaded the new MVC version of TBH. I ran into some problems getting the project to run, and wanted to let everyone know how I worked through the issues.

First of all, it looks like there is a mismatch between the configuration class and web.config. I had to change:

<newsletter Email="Newsletter@TheBeerHouse.com" />

to

<newsletters fromEmail="Newsletter@TheBeerHouse.com" fromDisplayName="Some Name"/>

I also received an SQLEXPRESS error stating that the beerhouse mdf was using version 622, and i only had 612. I had to upgrade to SQL Express 2008 (from 2005). That took care of that error.

Hope this helps someone.

Adam
Dec 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Adam,

Thanks for finding that bug, we are actively in the process of resolving all the straggler bugs and incorporating the commerce piece of TheBeerHouse. Hope you enjoy this project, keep us posted if you see anything else.

Al Katawazi
Jan 3, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Adam,

Thanks for the information regarding the web.config file. I also encountered the same problem. 

I installed the BEERHOUSE MVC using Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and get this error every time I open the project :

'C:\TheBeerHouse-44960\TheBeerHouse_MVC\Database\Database.dbp' cannot be opened because its project type (.dbp) is not supported by this version of the application. 

I can confirm your statement about SQL Express 2008. I'm able to open the application tables from both VWD and SQL Server Management Studio 2008.   

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:42 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Danny,

Unfortunately you VS express will not be able to open that database project. The following link provides more details.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/59cfebf0-d35c-4eea-86a7-d71fe1b8d38a/

Fortunately there isn't much in the project except for a reference to the database and a schema script. We may just drop the project to avoid compatability issues and consolidate the script as part of the main project somewhere. In the next release I will also make sure all the database table data is in the schema script as well so those of you who don't have sql 2008 installed on your machine yet can just simply run the script against a 2005 database and point your web.config to the appropriate location. Thanks for the feedback.

Al Katawazi

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:30 AM
Edited Jan 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM
I got tired of seeing the error dialogue so I whacked the Database folder. 

I've created a new login , logged off and logged back in.

I'm assuming the appropriate table(s) are being updated.

However , when I click the Newsletters and Shop menu bar items I get a 404 error.

I didn't see an Index action method in the NewsLetterController.cs as was referenced in the Site.Master.

Thanks
Jan 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM
Danny,

Glad you have most things working ok. Adam had similar issue and made the change he posted at the top of this tread to resolve the newsletter stuff. Also there is a certain level of configuration required in the web.config, you have to point it to a valid email server to be able to send messages out. As for store, that is coming in the next build, I wasn't able to get all the paypal integration done before the first release, sorry.

Al Katawazi
Jan 5, 2009 at 2:28 AM
Thanks,

What's the ETA for the next build ? I noticed the number of downloads has gone up. 

That means the word is getting out !

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:17 AM
Al is finishing up his final chapter, and then we will fix all the problems with the code.  It should be out by the 15th.

Nick
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM
nberardi, I noticed your comment 'It should be out by the 15th'.  What month is this?  I use this same method with my company.  "I didn't say what month" :-) 

I'm looking forward to next release.
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM
To quote Microsoft around the release of MVC "some where in early 2009".  :)  I am currently waiting for our authors to finish up their chapters before we put out the next release.  That is right, I am looking at you Al.  When I gave that date, all the chapters were suppose to be turned in. 
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Al, I'd be glad to preview your prerelease of the prepublished version of the code :-)
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM
You have to be vauge about your timelines, because as you all know, it gets done when it gets done, not when management wants it done :D. I swear sometimes the dumbest things will take forever to work out, anyhow a release is coming soon.
Jan 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM
I've become that pain in the rear manager now.  My developers are NEVER quite done with the code.  It just depends on when you can pry out their hands. :-)
Jan 23, 2009 at 3:46 AM

Al,

I also noticed that the 15th came and went. I've been checking for a new release on a daily basis.
I'm surprised there haven't been more posts considering the increase in downloads. 

In addition to jolivier you have another volunteer. 

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM
MVC Framework is great isn't it, I was suprised to see the number of people who were interested and actually downloaded the source code. In terms of the release nick kind of threw me under the bus so I would get harrassed by the community :D. Let me just say that I hope to have everything wrapped up this weekend, and hopefully a release early next week. Don't worry my wife is on me to get this stuff done too!
Feb 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Great Project,

I got it up and running and got a new skin on it, it looks great and was easy to modify.  I am having a problem now though.  I can log in but when I try to edit profile or edit an article the app pauses and then sends me to new user registration page.  What authentication am I supposed to have on iis?  I have it set to forms authentication but something is messed up.  Any help?
Feb 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM
Your user needs to have "Editor" or "Contributor" Role inorder to access those pages.
Feb 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM
I noticed a bug in the modify user area. At the bottom you will notice four checkboxes but there are no labels. These checkboxes control roles, and the labels I think got wacked after one of t he releases. We have to go back and fix this bug but if you make sure all four of those boxes are checked you should be in good shape with your user.
Feb 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM
I just realized I was going to those pages because of the cutom error handler.  It looks like I have a couple of probems.  The default page says

The RouteData must contain an item named 'controller' with a non-empty string value.

And the edit profile page is trying to create a sql express database, I use sql 2008 so i had just restored the db to sql and changed the connection string.  Maybe I need to reinstall from scratch and reapply my skins?

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM
I found the sql express problem was in the dbml.  I have been using Linq and am used to that problem so I can fix it.  The other one though is mvc related and I am pretty clueless.
Feb 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM

>> The RouteData must contain an item named 'controller' with a non-empty string value.

This sounds like you messed up a path when you modified it.  See if this happens in the default skin.
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM
I will check that.  For some reason it isn't finding the aspnet membership database.  The connection string name is the same, I didn't change the name of it.  Do I need to run aspnet_regsql against the beerhouse db?

I am going to try to get it all working from a working folder before I move it to my server again so I can trouble shoot.

All I can say from what I have seen so far though is WOW, this is a giant leap forward.  As someone who has struggled with dnn for several years this is as Beyonce would say an UpGrade.
Feb 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM
You shouldn't need to by default because we included in TheBeerHouse database. I would say get it working stock again and change things one at a time :D. Also I am doing a screencast on my blog codingsmarter.com which should be out there on the 7th overviewing the site.
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2009 at 4:47 PM
I figured out the problem with aspmembership.  I needed two connection strings.  Where is the source for the version of managefusion used with this release?  I was wanting to build it and mvc rc1 with my solution to fully understand what is going on and be able to debug the routedata issue.  When I run the site from the built in studio debug webserver it works fine but when I run it from iis as localhost/beerhouse or on a server under a domain name is when the routdata issue arises so I am sure I just need to change a path.

<

remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<

add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=xxx;Initial Catalog=rschome;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=xx;Password=xxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<

add name="TheBeerHouseConnectionString" con...

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:48 PM
If you look at the files you get back there should be a directory called managed fusion. It isn't in  your solution but the folder is still in there if you want to take a look at it. I excluded it and used the dll directly so as not to confuse people. Basically managed fusion just provides some helper functions that MVC did not have early on. I would suggest you could almost pull managed fusion from your project entirely and you could replace it with features currently in RC1 relatively easily.
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:56 PM
Edited Feb 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  I’ll try replacing it with mvc. 

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM
I am finding several things that managedfusion does that mvc rc1 does not, like parseenum and xmlresult.  I looked into adding mvccontrib but I would like to see the managedfusion source.

For the life of me I can't find the correct source.  The downlaod I have for beerhouse mvc came from chage set 46397.  I don't see any source for managed fusion in that.  Am I missing something?
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM
Try the beta 1 changeset, its probably in there.
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:23 PM
I have tried 46397, 46395, 44960 and don't see managedfusion source in any of those
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM
I have the source from code.google but it doesn't seem to be the same version used in beerhouse.

code.google.com/p/coderjournal/source/browse/trunk/ManagedFusion/Source/Utility.cs

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM
Hi collossusofdestiny,

That is because the source code is not being included with TheBeerHouse.  Only source code that is covered in the book.  ManagedFusion is a supporting assembly.  It is provided by Managed Fusion, LLC (www.managedfusion.com) the source code will eventually be published to:

http://code.google.com/p/managedfusion

But as of right now it has not been, you can periodically check the Google Code for a source code drop or subscribe to the RSS feed to get instant notification.
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:40 PM
That is cool.  Now that I know the status I am taking the existing version of managedfusion from code.google and making it work with mcv rc1 and beerhouse.  I took a look at mvccontrib to fill in some of the gaps in mvc but I think I would rather adapt managedfusion as it seems a little more streamlined.

Thanks again for the help.
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM
It took some doing but I have the source for managedfusion, mvc rc1 and beerhouse all running in one debug solution.  If anyone else needs some tips on getting this let me know.
Feb 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I finally got everything working on IIS 7 under a domain name.  Thanks again for all of the great code in this project.

The route data problem was being caused in the default route in  global.asa.  For some reason IIS 7 prefers a route with values like below.  I went ahead and took the existing managedfusion source and modfied it to work with my modified version of Beerhouse.  I set the store to use seo friendly urls's and some other things.  The existing Beerhouse code has so much in it though it was great.

I especially like how you have actions in the controlles working as services.  At first I wasn't sure what you were doing with that but when how I saw how you were calling them from client script for things like the poll's I thought it was great.  I have the source available if anyone wants it and my new site using Beerhouse MVC is at the following link.  MVC CMS Hosting

"Default", // Route name

"{controller}/{action}/{id}", // URL with parameters

new { controller = "Home", action = "Index", id = "" } // Parameter defaults

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Great job on the site, it looks really hot.
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Thanks,  I set up the Articles to be able to be edited by windows live writer.  I have the blogger api code here.  You guys might want to include that in your next release.
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM
Nice contribution, I will take a look and see if it would be something that would make sense to incorporate into a release.
Feb 18, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2009 at 6:07 AM
I don't mean to be irrationally exuberant but imo this is one if not the best open source offering I have ever seen.  You have so many starts on so many places to consider in the MVC framework at such an early phase it is just awesome, thanks again for such a great start on MVC.  I'll definitely be buying the book and I am not one to learn from books usually.

Have you looked at the areas concept in MVC?  There is a good blog item on it at http://blog.codeville.net/2008/11/05/app-areas-in-aspnet-mvc-take-2/.  I am considering making my next port of BH utilize the technique there.
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM
That is fantastic to hear that you really enjoy this project. We have worked very hard on this for the past 8 months and think it is finally getting to a point where it looks good. I really wish we could of made it modular in nature, I know that was a criticism of the first site. The thing is there is really no "non hacky" way of merging multiple applications together into a single MVC project. Sure you could make areas and drop it into your solution, but that would still involve recompiling your solution and republishing it. I wish you could just drop a dll into your project and just start using it, that would be really hot.

Let me know if you have any ideas in this regard.
Apr 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Al,

Can you email me the link for the latest code of NIck's
MVC Beerhouse ?

The link on CodePlex takes me to the old Marco version.

What's the ETA on Nick's book from Wrox ?

Thanks

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM, AKatawazi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Great job on the site, it looks really hot.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TheBeerHouse@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TheBeerHouse@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM
Danny,

Looking to update your commercial product?  The code will be released when it is released. Also for your reference TheBeerHouse is a collaborative effort between Al and myself.  He deserves as much credit as I do.

The book should be out in June, the latest code will be posted as a download by then.

Nick
Apr 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Al,

Yes, both you and Nick are co-authors. I remembered Nick's name but found your 
earlier emails.  I had a panic attack, my boss just asked me about ASP.NET MVC but I've 
been looking at Silverlight for the past two months. Now I have to switch gears. AGAIN !

Thanks, I just found and downloaded build 49183. 

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM, AKatawazi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Danny,

Just go under Source Code tab and download the latest, it will be under the MVC folder. Also for your reference the beerhouse was a collaberative effort between nick and myself. The book should be out in June, we had to make revisions to keep the code up to date with the latest MVC release, such as removing all the code behind pages on our views.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TheBeerHouse@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TheBeerHouse@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com